Saturday, October 16, 2010

Two Choices, One Decision

Now that PMR is over, I find many of my students are like yachts sailing without anchor, but being tossed in the vast oceans of confusion. Cant really blame them as they are still young to be able to see further. Surrounded by misconceptions, many are like the blinds, groping in the dark; some are like the blinds leading the blinds. Sometimes I wonder, is there any way that these youths be taught to think critically; that to choose is just follow your heart's desire and not obliging to friends.

I recalled after my SRP time, I too was lost, but only for awhile. I knew very well that I am good in Arts, to be specific, Literature... but I wouldn't want to be in that class. Two reasons.

(1) Most of my friends are in the Science Stream
(2) That Literature-to-be class is one of the worst class in the whole form

So, with my result, I chose Science class. And that decision carried me to Form 6, whereby I continued in Science Stream. Not bad.. I found that I could have the best of the two worlds. I am good in both Language and Science/Maths fields. So, I reckon that the best decision to make is to always allow your heart has its say. Your heart knows you very well. Your heart always leads you to the right path.

No doubt, Science students have the wider advantage in terms of courses that they can do and careers that they could venture into, Arts students do not lose out in many ways. Of course, if you could do both, that is the best. The world now is looking for those who can blend in Science and Arts well.

So, follow your heart's desire. Ask those more experienced than you. From there, sit down list down all advantages and disadvantages.... then weigh out the options. When you can see the picture clearly, make a decision and stick to it.

No comments: